August 14: Modern Brush Lettering with Letters By Shells
Instructor: Shelly Kim of Letters By Shells
Date: Saturday, August 14, 2021
Time: 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. (3 Hour Workshop)
The workshop will take place INDOORS, inside our shop at 305 E. 4th St. Unit 103, Santa Ana, CA 92701
The overall purpose of this Modern Brush Lettering Workshop is to help you get started with your lettering journey by reviewing all the lettering drills and techniques step-by-step. Join Shelly Kim of Letters By Shells in this fun and interactive 3-hour workshop where you will learn the brush lettering basics + drills including the following topics:
- Ways to hold your brush pen
- The tools to help you get started
- Differing pressure levels with brush pens
- Differences between brush pens (small vs large brush pens)
- Common practice drills and drawing each letter with intention
- The faux calligraphy process
- Connecting letters
- Guidance on achieving bouncy lettering
- Guidance on achieving different styles
As a class, we will be able to practice a few uppercase and lowercase letters by breaking down the connections of each letter in a word. We will also be writing a few words such as "hello," "love," and "joy." Throughout the class, Shelly will provide personal feedback + tips on ways to explore and develop your own lettering style!
This workshop includes all the materials needed to get started, including:
- Brush Pen Set (Each brush pen is hand-picked and will serve a different purpose)
- Brush Lettering Workbook (144 pages): includes- Alphabet sheet guide, outline of the basics, practice sheets for both uppercase & lowercase letters, different styles + compositions, DIY projects, and additional tips + techniques
- Lettering Paper, Personalized Name Tag, and Gifts from Shelly
- Email recap of all the tools, along with a digital access to the practice sheets from the workbook (uppercase + lowercase breakdown)
This workshop is all about discovering your creative side and having fun while learning the beauty of Modern Brush Lettering!
*This workshop requires no prior experience in calligraphy or lettering. Let's all just use this time to relax, learn, and letter with good company!*
Seats are limited. Registration in advance is required.
Class Size: 12 students maximum (limited capacity for physical distancing - class size may increase at a later time or due to the number of households in the workshop)
*Those in the same household or vaccinated individuals may be seated with no physical distancing from each other. Please let us know if you're attending with others and you'd prefer to sit next to each other without physical distance.
COVID-19 Safety Measures & Requirements (*this is subject to change - please check the email sent the week of the workshop for the most updated guidelines).
We want to provide both a fun and safe INDOOR workshop experience and environment for workshop attendees. Please help keep yourself and others safe and adhere to our COVID Safety Measures & Requirements.
- Seating arrangements will provide physical distancing from other attendees and the instructor unless attendees are from the same household or are vaccinated individuals attending together.
- All attendees are required to wear an acceptable form of face covering. You will need to bring your own and wear it at all times during the workshop.
- All face coverings (whether disposable or reusable) must fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin, fit snugly against the side of the face, be secured with ties or ear loops and allow you to remain hands-free. (Neck gaiters, bandanas, and face coverings containing valves, mesh material or holes of any kind are not acceptable face coverings.)
- The workshop instructor will wear a face covering and maintain physical distance while providing instruction.
- An individually packaged item will be served as a take home treat. Refreshments will not be served during the workshop at this time.
- There are no vaccination requirements for anyone attending the workshop.
If you register for the workshop, but are in any the following situations, please request to be moved to a future workshop:
- If you have experienced any of the following symptoms within the past 48 hours prior to the workshop date - fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea)
- If you are isolating or quarantining because you have been exposed to a person with COVID-19, are sick with COVID-19, or have symptoms consistent with COVID-19
- If you are currently waiting on the results of a COVID-19 test
What else do you need to know?
You do not need to bring anything else to the workshop, just yourself! The registration cost is all-inclusive of materials needed for this experience!
Space is limited. Workshop registrations are NONREFUNDABLE and NONTRANSFERABLE. Please make sure you are able to attend the workshop date and time before you complete your purchase. Be sure to visit the Workshop FAQ page for a complete overview of our workshop policies.
If you have further questions about workshops, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org